You can setup a SMTP profile that will use your own Sendgrid account for sending.
Why use your own Sendgrid account?
- You will gain full control over deliverability. For example, you can setup dedicated IP in your Sendgrid account for sending.
- Save usage charges. OnVoard will charge your email transit usage instead of email sends usage when you use your own SMTP for sending.
- More in-depth email stats. You can login directly to your Sendgrid account to view raw email stats.
- You need your own Sendgrid account for this setup.
1) Setup SMTP Profile
Go to smtp profiles page to add a new smtp profile.
- Select Own SMTP for sender.
- Select Sendgrid for SMTP provider.
2) Sendgrid Config
Next, we need API Key for your Sendgrid account. To retrieve the value, go to Settings > API Keys from Sendgrid console and locate value from there. Create a new API key if needed.
With that, you should be able to create your SMTP profile.
3) Verify DNS Records
Before SMTP profile is eligible for sending, you need to verify DNS records for domain.
4) Using SMTP profile
To use SMTP profile, you can assign it to email profile.
How OnVoard manage your Sendgrid account
After SMTP profile is setup, OnVoard will automatically add new domain for Sendgrid account. You can view them in sender authentication page.
We will also update event webhook in mail settings page.
Important - do not modify the event webhook set by OnVoard. We use webhooks to track your email stats on our end. You will lose data if the event webhook is modified.
Single Event Webhook Limitations
Sendgrid only allow one event webhook to be used. If you are using another services that requires using event webhook, you would need to either
- Setup another sendgrid account
- Or setup subuser within your sendgrid account. Subuser feature may not be available depending on your sendgrid plan subscription.
How to cleanup profile in Sendgrid after SMTP Profile delete?
When you delete SMTP profile, we will only remove it from OnVoard platform. You still need to manually delete the created domain in your Sendgrid account and disable event webhook. Of course, you can opt to keep settings intact for archive purposes.