One of the biggest differentiation OnVoard have over other email marketing platforms is the flexibility we provide for SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol). We've are using Postmark for default sending. Postmark has consistently shown better deliverability for us and we recommend all our users to opt for Postmark whenever possible.
Updated: Sending requirements from Feb 2024
Both Gmail and Yahoo have additional requirements for email senders starting from February 2024.
All email senders should refer to guide below to ensure they've met the new requirements so that your emails gets delivered to inbox.
- Learn more about Gmail and Yahoo's upcoming sender requirements.
What is a SMTP Profile?
SMTP profile determines the SMTP configurations used for delivering and via which domain. OnVoard doesn't do the actual delivery of emails. Instead, we're integrated with SMTP providers like Sendgrid and Postmark which will do the job for email delivery. By default, emails will be delivered via OnVoard's Postmark account. There are other options you can configure to determine how you want your emails to be delivered. For example, via your own domain or even using your own SMTP provider account.
How to use SMTP Profile?
See link below on how you can use created SMTP profile.
In general, there are 3 kinds of sending options you can configure for SMTP profile.
1) Use onvoard-mail.com (Default)
This is the default option provided for all accounts. Emails will be delivered via
onvoard-mail.com domain using OnVoard's Postmark account. For better control over deliverability, we recommend most users to choose option 2 and use your own domain for sending. Emails sent from your own domain will not have "via onvoard-mail.com" message.
Sending from onvoard-mail.com
Sending from your own domain
2) Use your own domain (Recommended for most users)
This is what we recommend for most users. Delivering via your own domain ensures that you can build up email reputation for your own domain. This is better for your business in the long run since you have better control over deliverability.
3) Use your own SMTP provider account (For advanced users)
For advanced users, you can even configure to use your own SMTP provider account for sending. Below are the benefits for doing so:
- You will gain full control over deliverability. For example, you can setup dedicated IP in your SMTP provider account for sending.
- Save usage charges. OnVoard will charge your email transit usage instead of email sends usage when you use your own SMTP for sending.
- More in-depth email stats. You can login directly to your SMTP provider account to view raw email stats.
Keep in mind that we only recommend this for advanced users who knows what they are doing. For more, you can see the following guides for setting up with own SMTP.
This is the default option. Use OnVoard's SMTP provider account for sending. OnVoard will manage sending IP and deliverability. OnVoard will charge your account email sending usage charges.
Use your own SMTP provider account for sending and gain full control over sending IP and deliverability. OnVoard will charge your account email transit usage charges.
Available SMTP Provider
For sending via OnVoard's SMTP provider account, you can use Sendgrid. This is the default option.
We also allow whitelisted users to sent via our Postmark account. You can contact us if you wish to be whitelisted to send via OnVoard's Postmark account. Keep in mind the following requirements to be approved.
- Must be an account with subscribed to OnVoard for at least a few months. We don't approve new accounts.
- Account must have shown good delivery stats with certain volume.
- In general, we need to be assured that you are a trusted sender with good email reputation.
Own SMTP Sender
If you are sending via your own SMTP provider account, you can use all available options.